Gathered Up May 13, 2009Posted by merp in FOs, Knitting.
Pattern: Gathered Pullover, by Hana Jason (Interweave Knits, Winter 2007)
Yarn: Mister Joe Blanket (single ply, 50% Wool/ 46% Acrylic/ 3% Nylon/ 1% Elastane, discontinued)
Size: Smallest, but cast on at hem 2″ bigger than written, then decreased. Also, made the sleeves from the next size up (see below for trauma and avoidance).
Time to finish: Just about exactly 1 year. Not continuous. It probably only took 6 weeks of actual knitting, if that.
Time between finishing and blogging: Nearly 3 weeks. I’ve barely had time to breathe the last couple months. (Knitting, of course, is on par with breathing; thus, I have been knitting.)
Times worn before it got too warm: Twice, I think?
It’s all about the cable, of course. Which was much, much easier than it looks.
The other distinguishing feature is the use of a lighter yarn at a larger gauge, making a loose, light fabric. The yarn I chose is very stretchy, to boot. Very comfortable, a perfect fall sweater.
Other than that, it’s pleasingly basic.
So what took me so long?
The sleeves. One can hardly imagine simpler sleeves, if knit to the size written. But since my bust and arm sizes are mismatched, I just (tra-la) knitted the sleeves for the next size up. Once I got to the armpit of the first sleeve I realized that the sleeve cap for one size was not going to fit into the armhole of a different size. (Obviously.) So, naturally, I shoved it in a basket and tried not to think about it for about 9 mos.
In February, I summoned resolve-face and sat myself down with an article from Interweave Knits on calculating sleeve cap sizes (from the very same issue as the pattern it so happens) and a pencil. I did math!
It didn’t really get me anywhere, though. In the end, I used a tape measure and guesstimated, then seamed them up very carefully. I’m kind of shocked at how perfectly it worked out.
My current project:
My wedding shawl. Incredibly, I’ve found shoes to match!