Sahara! September 8, 2007Posted by merp in FOs, Knitting.
I have actually completed a sweater while it’s still seasonal!
(In fact, I wore it on Thursday and was a bit over-warm.)
Yarn: Goshen (48% cotton, 46% modal, 6% silk), in periwinkle
Needles: #7 circs, Addi Turbos (woh – look at that, I remembered! Well, Addi Turbos are memorable needles, it turns out) – and probably #5 circs for the lace and ribbing at the hem.
- Did not use the recommended yarn, of course (being stratospherically expensive), but Goshen did not require any mods to the pattern and worked wonderfully. I really love this (very affordable!) yarn – I hope it wears well.
- Changed the shaping quite a bit, of course, as one must, unless one happens to be exactly average shaped. Worked out fine, no difficulties.
- Made it a little long – at least, longer than most other knitters’ results. Not sure if I did this on purpose or not. I like it long, but kind of wish the hemline did not fall precisely where I am widest. Oh, well.
- Didn’t bother with beads or sequins. Not interested.
- My biggest change was the lace, as I discussed earlier, with much helpful input from readers and on craftster. I ended up using #78: Tiny Eyelet Ribbing from the Vogue Stitchionary Vol. 1 (Knit & Purl), and like it so much better than the kinda poofy diamond lace in the pattern.
- Left the lace off of the hem entirely and used a bit of simple ribbing instead.
(Sorry if this photo is a little personal – I just wanted to show you the lace detail :))
It’s very comfy. Carefully fitted, but not body-hugging, breathes nicely.
And it’s a beautiful pattern – so easy to read, so easy to knit. I’m tempted to make another one…long-sleeved, in a wool-silk blend….