2 short projects: City Shawl & Coronet November 23, 2006Posted by merp in FOs, Knitting.
Pattern: Glampyre’s City Shawl
Yarn: Two strands of Lang Yarns Moon, 60% Merino Wool/ 25% Viscose Rayon/ 15% Nylon (from elann.com), colony blue, just over 4 skeins
Needles: #13 straight, plastic ones from Grandma
Gauge: Not sure, but not at all what elann claims!
Mods: Garter eyelet stitch instead of plain garter stitch (I hate garter stitch)
Time: Less than 2 weeks
I made this for a wedding on the 18th, to go with this dress, which as you see, is not so much a November dress. Obviously, says the knitter brain, just the occasion for a shawl or a shrug! I had really wanted to make Icarus, for months now, but it just wasn’t realistic, given the time available and my tolerance for that *@#%ing lace-weight alpaca cloud.
City Shawl calls for a bulky chenille at 3 stitches per inch, and Stephanie Japel claims it can be knitted in 3 hours – just the thing! Only I didn’t want chenille. So after spending an over-indulgent amount of time shopping around on the internet, I settled on Moon, for which elann claims a gauge of 3.5/in. Yeah, right. The label itself says 5.6 st/in (converted from metric), which I can believe. So I end up buying 3 more skeins and knitting with two strands at once. I keep doing this. It takes longer than knitting with just one (tangling, untangling, tangling again). I should stop believing elann.
The yarn itself is really nice. It’s much drapier than you expect from wool, but still with the springiness of wool – and the warmth, fortunately. Here’s a close-up:
As you can see, great potential for poking your needle through the middle of it and snagging it on things, another slowing factor. The color in these pictures is, of course, totally off. It looks orangey in the modeled shots because of the setting sun, and it’s a little bluer even than the in the close-up.
So in the end, much more than 3 hours to knit – I finished the last few rows in the car on the way to the wedding!
Turned out quite well, though, even without blocking, which I may never bother to do.
I’ve been wanting to make this hat since it first came out 3 years ago or more. And sure enough, it’s just right. Very easy to make – I didn’t bother to measure my gauge, just knit each piece till it was the right size, and it came out just right. Only the grafting was a little tricky for me. It’s pretty and keeps my ears warm (none of my other hats do that well).
For some reason, I chose to knit the crown in twisted stockinette. That made no sense – the columns are a little further apart and scoot around a bit making it a little, well, ventilated. Next time, regular st st.
And next time, nicer yarn.