Holiday Gift Reveals, First Wave December 28, 2009Posted by merp in FOs, Knitting.
I knitted a lot for the holidays this year, much more than usual. But have been keeping it under my hat, of course. (Or rather, hidden on ravelry.)
Here are three things that went out in the mail before Christmas.
For my advisor:
Yarn: Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande Hand Dyed
Inasmuch as I used any pattern at all, it was Breean Elyse’s Herringbone Neckwarmer [rav link]. I took the stitch pattern and the construction (such as it is) from this pattern, but didn’t bother with any of the numbers.
Outcome: Soft, very very soft. The colors did pool, but I’m pretending I meant for that to happen. (It’s a “design feature.”)
I think this is the first thing I’ve knitted for him (though he’s been my advisor for going on a decade now). I hope he understands that I don’t knit instead of writing. ‘Cuz I don’t, really I don’t. Just finished a chapter, in fact!
And for my aunt and uncle in Florida, more variations on my Grandma’s slippers pattern [rav link].
For my uncle:
Yarn: Knit Picks Main Line (leftover from Rusted Root) (I am so sad this yarn is discontinued)
Modifications: Cables, I thought. Why not cables? Haven’t tried that yet!
When I got to the end of the garter stitch section, I cast on an additional 8 stitches on the top of the foot as I joined it in the round, then improvised a pretty standard, 6-stitch braided cable with an extra purl stitch on either side, going up the top of the foot as I knitted towards the toe.
I also did a 2 x 2 instead of a 1 x 1 rib, and instead of an eyelet border around the ankle, had enough yarn to knit a 1 x 1 ribbed cuff about 2″ high, which I then folded over and sewed closed around a piece of elastic.
I think they look a bit more masculine this way. And I want a pair myself.
For my aunt:
I used up a whole lot of miscellaneous bits of yarn, as you can see, all worsted and more or less machine washable, and all very soft (Valley Yarns Goshen, Knit Picks Shine and Comfy, Cascade 220 Superwash).
For these, aside from going stripe-happy (which is not exactly an innovation), I tried something new with the elastic. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a huge fan of the way my Grandma did the cuffs – eyelets threaded with a piece of elastic. The thick cuff I used above was a success, but in this case, I didn’t have enough yarn for that. And I also didn’t have the right width of elastic.
So I braided the elastic:
Pretty, comfortable, and functional. Though I still did a sloppy job of sewing it together.
The truth is, I don’t think my aunt and uncle actually need any more slippers. At all. And yet I keep knitting them more. Next year, I really must try something different.
Meanwhile, I don’t have a pair of these slippers myself! A pair for me is finally in the works.